Monday, February 18, 2013

Two on Four Wheels

I came across a horribly sad story tonight. This young couple, Peter Root and Mary Thompson, both only 34 years old, from Guernsey in the Channel islands, were killed in a road accident in Thailand.



They apparently saved their money up for six years to be able to do a round-the-world bicycling trip, riding hard and camping in the wild. This was supposed to be something amazing, life changing, and incredible. And they'd been living their dream.
Until they were hit by a car on February 13, 2013 and killed. Just like that. 
According to this article on Yahoo, the couple was hit by a truck when the driver reached down to pick up a cap from the vehicle's floor.
I breaks my heart for everyone involved. For Peter and Mary. For the rest of their dreams never coming true. For a journey unfinished. For their families who are hurting, an ocean apart from their loved one's bodies. 
It also brings about introspection for my journey. 
Am I ready for anything? For tragedy? I need to be smart, be aware, and be safe. For me, it also reaffirms our adventure. It's a harsh reminder that life is short and that I, quite frankly, could die tomorrow. Which is all the more reason to live today.




1 comment:

  1. Stories like that are always really scary (and of course, really sad!!) but I think it's strange that people use them as arguments for not traveling, because like you said, it points out how short life is--and something like that could have happened to them had they stayed at home.

    ReplyDelete